Wednesday 10 November 2010

Let down by a computer game!?

Last night I was let down by a computer game. Yes, I know it sounds silly, but bear with me on this one.

I used to really enjoy the Prince of Persia series. In fact I still play the first three ones, althought Warrior Within is the weaker of the three. The one they called Prince of Persia just didn't do it for me, the humour was mostly gone, they had turned him into a sarcastic redneck. The game had been turned into a lot of complicated acrobatics followed by one-on-one fights. There was nothing to that game, it became pretty boring after a while. Gone were the fights were you had to hold your own against an increasing number of enemies while trying to keep Farah alive and avoiding being shot by her. And you had to use tactics during those fights, you couldn't just wade in, you had to draw some of them away from Farah, target specific ones first because you knew they would be the ones that were more likely to get you killed... Not in that installment of PoP, it was just plain hit hit hit special move hit hit hit send what's-her-name in hit hit hit, it's dead. Next!

Anyway, this is actually not about PoP. I got hooked onto the Assassin's Creed series now. Really enjoyed the first one to the point that I would reload the game to try and get all the flags and kill all the Templars even after I completed the game. I am now playing Assassin's Creed 2. It took me a while to get round to playing it because I have been hooked onto Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2, which are great games in their own rights and the very first first-person shooters I have been able to play without feeling like bringing my meals back up.

I am digressing again. Assassin's Creed 2. Great fun! Really have to stop and think about some of your contracts, you cannot just wade in there and get the target. And you still get some acrobatics worth of the Prince. So we are all happy. Last night I was doing Sequence 12. I killed Checco (pretty easy to do if you chase after him on horseback and attack him from the horse) and got stabbed in the guts as a reward. Anyway, time passes. You would have thought Ezio would be on a bed, covered with a nice flimsy blanket, bandaged around the abdomen, maybe a spot of blood on the bandages, armour on a stand to the side of the room (after all, he is amongst Assassins, so he'd be safe). I mean, all I was asking for was a bit of eye candy, you know, for us female gamers (and gay gamers out there too). I wanted to see those abs and muscled arms.

Was it too much to ask for? Obviously it was. He wakes up on a terrace laying on (maybe) a bed. Caterina is there beside you and she is obviously relieved that you have regained conciousness. You know time has passed because Ezio is now sporting a beard (and those take more than an evening to grow unless you are special). So why is he not in a bed with some bandages and showing off those abs you know he must have because there is no way a weedy man would have been able to go climbing and running and fighting like he does?

So I was extremely disappoined. Sad but true. Maybe I will load the Prince again cos I know HE does lose his shirt to show off those abs!

No comments: